Dr. James Evans- Professor
"Real problems won't be the same as textbook examples. Understand the underlying logic and concepts."
Dr. James Evans is a professor at the University of Cincinnati. He teaches several courses, including Data Analysis, in the online MBA programs.
- Ph.D. Industry and System Engineering – Georgia Institute of Technology
- M.S. Industrial Engineering – Purdue University
- B.S. Industrial Engineering – Purdue University
- Author of over two dozen textbooks in operations management, quality, management science and business analytics, and close to 100 research papers
- Past President of the Decision Sciences Institute and Malcolm Baldrige Award Judge
- Listed in Who's Who in America
Which classes do you teach online?
- OM 7042 - Health Quality 2: Total Quality Management
- OM 7071 - Quality and High Performance Organizations
- BANA 7011 - Data Analysis
- BANA 7012 - Decision Models
Why did you start teaching?
It was more for the opportunity to do research, but I realized I had an ability to synthesize concepts and convey them in a more coherent fashion.
What's the best advice that you ever received?
From Professor Marcel Neuts: If you get stuck in solving a problem, go back to "first principles."
What is the best advice that you could give to your students?
Think! Real problems won't be the same as textbook examples. Understand the underlying logic and concepts.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
Any book on creative thinking.
What qualities make someone particularly successful in the profession in which you teach?
Logical thinking and excellent communication.
What do you think is the biggest challenge that people in the profession face today?
Dealing with ever-expanding sources of information and data.« Back to Faculty